How to make Som Tam (Papaya Salad)
- Recipe Servings: 2
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Difficulty Level: Easy
A delicious Thai dish, Som Tam is a green papaya salad that combines all four tastes – sour, chilli, sweet and salty. A healthy and tasty treat for brunch, lunch or a casual light dinner
Ingredients of Som Tam (Papaya Salad)
- 1 Small Green raw papaya, shredded
- 4 Long beans, chopped
- 6 Garlic cloves
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 8 Cherry tomatoes (cut into quarters)
- 1/4 cup cabbage (sliced into thin strips)
- 6 Red or green chilly
- 2 Tbsp Palm sugar (or 1 Tbsp regular sugar)
- 3 Tbsp Lime juice
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp Ground peanuts, roasted
- For garnishing Fresh lettuce, green beans, lime wedges and chilly
How to Make Som Tam (Papaya Salad)
- Peel and seed papaya and shred it. Put in a bowl.
- Crush garlic with a pestle, then add long beans and tomatoes and pound a few times to release juices.
- Add the chilies and crush lightly to release the heat.
- In a separate cup dissolve the sugar in the lime juice and soy sauce.
- Mix all ingredients together except peanuts and toss to mix.
- Serve in a shallow bowl and top with Peanuts, Fresh lettuce, green beans, lime wedges.
- Do not blend but use mortar and pestle for the salad.
- Do not add salt, the soy sauce has enough salt.
- Taste, once mixed, and add any ingredient to delight your taste buds. This one is supposed to be spicy.